Team Acorn Community Forums
Blitscreet

Like Mother, Like Daughter *Private*

In the treetop hut overlooking the hospital, a blue feline patiently waited for her daughter to come home. Jolteia was silently stewing, furious at the news she had learned. First off she had learned that Kate had agreed to accompany Sally to Robotropolis, then not only that, was used as bait in an attempt to trick legionnaires into releasing a caught Brianna, only to have some psychotic fox threaten to blow herself and Briana up.

The mere thought that it could have been Kate instead, not that Brianna wasn't already bad enough, she was also like a daughter to her as well and loved the lynx dearly, had sent the feline into a blind fury, which if she hadn't already been off duty at the time, would have undoubtedly make quite the scene in the hospital.

For most people, sitting in one spot for what felt like hours, waiting for the one person she was waiting for to come through that door, would have more than likely resulted in a calmer mood, given them time to think. But for Jolteia, every moment felt excruciating, waiting for Kate to come in, the fear of seeing her injured or hurt in any way. It only kept her more on edge.

Even after she had changed into more comfortable lounge wear, specifically a loose pair of pants and tank top, swiped from Kate's room, normally relieved a lot of tension, didn't do much. Silently tapping her fingers on the table in a steady rhythm, adjusting her glasses as her bright yellow eyes, never left that door handle. 

Brianna was one of Kate's closest friends. Beside sharing a similar age, they spent a lot of time together and played together a lot as kids. Brianna even built a treehouse for her which later became her home. It pained the cat inside greatly to see her friend captured and taken like that. It was a hopeless feeling, and Kate felt in her heart she let her friend down. She feared for Brianna, hoping she wasn't going through pain. It was the only thing on her mind up until Princess Sally said goodbye in front of her hut and walked off in a hurry. Kate knew Princess Sally was going to help save Brianna. She even came to rescue her to begin with. It seemed like no one cared more about everyone's safety than the princess.

Her eyes dried from the tears finally settling, Kate climbed the rope ladder that led to her hut in the tree and stepped inside once reaching the top. There unexpectedly she found her mother Jolteia, who seemed quite angry...

"Mom?" Kate asked, wondering what was going on.

For all the anger, for all the worry she had built up the moment her daughter walked through that door, she couldn't keep any of it. The relief that her only daughter was okay hit her with enough force to seemingly propel the feline up out of her chair as she gripped Kate tightly in a hug, not wanting to ever let go of her again. All that fear and worry had dissipated, preventing Jolteia from doing anything but just hold Kate endearingly, hands soothingly rubbing her back, and struggling to hold back tears of her own. It didn't happen often, but as of this moment she didn't know what to say to her, just hold her daughter close and just be thankful she was okay.

"Mo-" she was caught off by the sudden hug, the warmth and comfort from her mother's embrace sending Kate into a crying fit again. Though Kate didn't know what was wrong, it made all the difference to have her mother's comfort at that moment. Still, it dawned on her with the sheer strength of the hug that her mother was probably just worried about her. She might've heard what had happened or that Kate was on her very first mission. It made sense then, as Kate broke the hug to stare into Jolteia's eyes. "Mom, I'm fine," she said in her own comforting voice.

Wiping Kate's cheeks, she leaned in to give her a tender kiss on her forehead. Her own tears rolling down her cheeks she pulled her in again, this time really holding her daughter. "I know Kitten, but knowing that it could have been you instead of Brianna, or as well as, or even all four of you." She squeezed her eyes shut tight keeping Kate pulled in close to her chest. "You're my everything you know that right? I can't stand the thought of losing you. I brought you here because I thought I could keep you safe. But now seeing you all grown up risking your life going on missions, it scares me, especially since you didn't even let me know about your first one." Jolteia was shaking softly, the usually so composed doctor distraught. All she wanted to do was hold her daughter tight, and never let her go. "I can't lose you Kate. I can't..."

Kate had never seen her mother like this. So worried, crying and shaking... afraid. Jolteia was always very strong, like Princess Sally. Her mother was always calm, collected, she seemed to be ready for anything, especially in medical emergencies that could mean life and death. It stirred something inside Kate to see her like this. "You wont lose me, mom..." Kate answered, her ears drooped as the guilt set in. She felt horrible for making her mom so worried like that. "I'm sorry for not telling you first.. it was just an emergency, it was so sudden and I volunteered since we were so short handed and I felt I was ready.. and Brianna is my best friend." The short feline had to look up at her mother from being smothered by her chest.

"I know baby, I know she is, I love Brianna too, I just wish that this day went differently, or rather, didn't happen at all." Jolteia looked down into Kate's eyes, a couple tears still rolling down her cheeks. It pained her to look down at her daughter and just imagine what would have happened if things had been any worse. Holding her tightly she slowly began to purr till she started to calm down a bit. It took a while, she didn't let Kate go at all, she couldn't. This moment right here was what she needed right now, to remember that her daughter was fine, and somehow, despite everything that did happen today, it was going to be alright.

Kate's mother always knew how to make her feel better, how to calm her down and make her feel safe. When the hug finally rested Kate ran her hands through her hair and sat down on the couch, taking in a deep sigh and shutting her eyes for a moment. Everything was still settling in. She worried for Brianna, she wanted her to be safe. The Princess promised she'd be okay, that made the kitten feel a little better. "Did you work today, mom?" Kate asked, suddenly realizing Jolteia might have been waiting anxiously for hours, meaning she'd be missing working in the hospital.

After that hug Jolteia took a moment to get composed. Heading over to the kitchen Jolteia started working on making some hot tea to calm her nerves. Knowing she had to talk to the Princess tomorrow as well didn't really help any. Jolteia was also Knothole's councilor, since this life was stressful and everyone did depend on her to vent and for her to help with their problems, meaning she had to keep herself composed as best she could. Taking a few deep breaths she adjusted the top she was wearing slightly before hearing her daughter speak up once again.

"Oh yes, I did work today. It helped keep me focused, and my mind off of today's events. Thankfully it was all just routine stuff. Which reminds me, you need to have your post mission check up as well. And don't think I've forgotten you're overdue for an actual appointment. I may be your mom, but I can't give you special treatment when it comes to that sort of thing. So I want to see you up and early when I get up tomorrow, you're coming in with me to get that taken care of first thing."

Drooping her ears at the nagging about the check-up, Kate gave her nodded agreement. Despite having a mother who was professional doctor, Kate never felt comfortable in the infirmary. She hated needles and getting shots and vaccines, and was always terrified of getting her blood drawn during routine check-ups. "I'm ok, mom," she began to protest. "I didn't get hurt." Kate was so overwhelmed by her mother's worry that she hadn't realized what she was wearing. Kate's clothes. They were a small fit on Jolteia, who had round curves but a slim figure. Kate was a lot shorter than Jolteia, and smaller at that. "Mom, why are you wearing my clothes? They barely fit you."

As she set the kettle on the stove, Jolteia slowly calmed herself down completely, the small routine of making tea was easy enough to get her thoughts wrapped around. So much so she barely noticed Kate's question regarding her clothing. To be honest she herself had forgotten what she was wearing up until now. 

"Well to be honest, barely fit is still more comfortable than my work clothes. And they were just kinda laying out in the open..." It wasn't exactly true, they were out in the open, just in the drawer, after Jolteia opened it. "Are you saying you don't want to share? Or you worried I might look better in em than you?" She turned and stuck her tongue out at Kate, trying to lighten the mood at bit.