Team Acorn Community Forums
Weltall84

The Sting of Retreat & Leaving a Comrade Behind

Mere hours after the failed parts scavenging mission:

The trek to Knothole was quiet, which was expected when you left someone behind and were in constant fear of their safety. If Kate or the Princess had said anything to him when they got back he didn't heed them any mind as he went on ahead once they entered Knothole. His aching and cold body probably could use a stop by the medical hut; but the hybrid had other priorities.  Making his way to Brianna's workshop he sets the bags of scavenged items on the floor, save for the bag with the metal plating and drags it over to the partially armored exo-suit in a kneeling posture in the corner. After pulling the metal sheets out, he hurriedly looks around the lab, finding Biranna's extra set of wielding gloves, and goggles and puts them on, before dragging her wielding kit over to the exo-suit.

Pulling the googles on, he ignites the wielding tool and engages its 'cutter' mechanism (leave it to Brianna to multi-task her tools) and cuts the metal sheets into the shapes needed for the exo-frame's missing armor. Fatigue, pain, lingering cold and hunger nipped at him but he ignored it as he worked. He knew Bri would be FURIOUS at the somewhat sloppy looking patch job he was doing, but he needed to at least finish armoring the back and lower chest sections and the arm servo housing.

Once he had the shapes cut out, he changed the tool from cutter to wielder mode and began to wield the metal plating where it was needed. It wasn't the best, not Brianna's meticulous work but hopefully his meager mechanic skills would suffice. He just needed it to last long enough to mount a rescue. Finishing at least the armor missing around the cockpit area, he shuts the wielding torch off and removes his goggles, looking over at his wields. They weren't pretty but they did the trick, hopefully Brianna wouldn't be too upset at the extra work needed to redo the work to her satisfaction. After putting the wielding tools aside for the moment he starts grabbing power cables and starts plugging them into the power cells on the Barbatos exo-frame and then connecting the end of the cords into the lab power generator to top off its energy reserves. It'd take a few hours to get all the cutting and wielding finished and do the final checks but damn it he'd do it!

Being thorough he went checking the exo-suit's installed equipment; the thrusters were fueled with propellant. It couldn't fly but with the tread wheels in the feet he could 'hover' and move faster than by walking and the backpack thruster unit would augment its jumping. The only downside was Brianna and himself only had three test runs with the frame and while it worked it still had some bugs... and most of its extra equipment was unfinished; including the weapons. Moving to the wall locker he opens it, spying just one heavy mace designed for the exo-suit, and and the arm-mounted auto-cannons. 

Sadly he knew the cannons had.... forty rounds, and between two cannons that meant twenty shots each. Not a lot when you had a city of robots to fight through. Axel would be relying fully on the frame's melee capabilities and fall back to the guns if anything heavy showed up.

Still regardless he had to rescue his best friend; Axel looks up at the face of the machine, placing his faith in the exo-frame that hadn't seen real combat yet.

"I'm gonna need all you got Barbatos...let's pray you hold up to your 'duke of hell' title..."

Gundam_Barbatos_(g-tekketsu_mv10).png

Now he just hoped the Princess wouldn't object to him bringing this along for the rescue.

(edit: This isn't exactly like what the robot looks like just a frame of reference to its kneeling posture covered by wires and looking menacing)

Most of their walk back was careful as they needed to make sure they weren't being followed, and Princess Sally spent her time comforting Kate, who was crushed that they couldn't rescue Brianna. They had received a distress signal from Brianna shortly before they had arrived, Sally brought the Swatbot suit as a way to trick the enemy and get Axel and Brianna back, but sadly... that girl wouldn't let it go. Something about her was off, it was as if harbored an insane amount of hatred and didn't care what happened to herself.

"Don't worry, Kate we will definitely get her back, we just need to regroup at Knothole and come up with a plan," she said in a soft tone to Kate as they reached Knothole. "I'll be working on this personally to see her back safely."

"Okay..." the cat girl trailed off, her ears drooped and her eyes puffy with tears.

The Princess noticed Axel was headed for Brianna's lab, she followed after seeing Kate home. Making her way inside the building and navigating to Bri's section, Sally stepped inside the large room and nearly had her jaw drop at what she saw Brianna had been building the past few months. "I see she's been busy..." Sally trailed off, feeling guilty that Brianna was still out there, hopefully not in danger...

Upon realizing the Princess was there, Axel turned his head, giving a nod in response to her words. "Yeah... she has." He murmurs, before walking back over to the mech and pops open the chest cavity revealing the cockpit. Then he pulls off his long-sleeved shirt, and tosses it to the ground. He reaches in, grasping some kind of wire-jack, extending it out. "Princess can you do me a favor?" He points at a table, at a flat-like device with a bit of an arch to it. "Can you bring that and put it over my neural implant?" Turning his body so his back was to her, revealing the upper part of his spine starting from the base of his neck to the middle of his back was exposed and metal, with three prongs slowly extending from the cyber-implant along his upper back. "I can't read either or, that well I need you to read the diagnostic data when I link with Barbatos here... I gotta get it up and running so we can use it to save Brianna..."

His voice was determined, yet also a bit shaky every time he acknowledged Brianna's situation, and his eyes hardened with a need to hurry. 

After bringing what he asked for, the Princess folded her arms and sighed with heavy worry and stress. "What is your plan, then? To storm into Robotropolis with one robot and rescue Brianna?" she asked, knowing well how foolish that idea actually was. "Even with this weapon, you can't possibly have enough ammo to last long after being seen. With a size like that, you're not getting in there without being caught and meeting heavy resistance. What then when Robotnik sends his own robots to take you out? How will you rescue Brianna?" Walking up to him she rests a comforting palm on his shoulder, giving him a reassuring squeeze.

"This mission requires planning, calm, and stealth. We won't get far if we're caught, especially if we come blasting in with a large weapon. If we're to get Brianna back we need to get close without being noticed and break her out with little alarm if any. Violence, combat.. would only endanger her. I know how you feel about knowing a friend is caught and suffering, but you will only get caught or killed yourself if you act on pure emotion."

After feeling the sensation of the neural 'lobe connection' device locking onto his implants, Axel flexed his neck and back and forth, shuddering as his spine tingled with new sensations as the implants specialized bio-nanomachines bonded flesh and nerves to metal and wires. Even after having the implant for more than half his life, putting the connector device always felt weird. As the Princess began to talk he turns to regard her; despite his seemingly blank expression his eyes told he was listen to her intently. What she was was right, and he knew that but at the same time; he felt a sense of urgency given how many hours it had already been since they left Brianna behind and would need several more to finish prepping the Exo-Frame and any other sort of rescue plan.

"I know just storming in won't do anything... We have to be smart getting Brianna out or she could be put in worse peril." Axel looks up at the inactive machine, placing a hand on the open chest cavity. "This thing's like me, a weapon to be wielded and used to destroy... or distract." His large green eyes met her gaze as the hybrid looks back to the chipmunk/squirrel mix. "I was thinking I could keep security on me, thinking I'm trying the blunt approach, while others better suited for sneaking got Brianna out." His large hand pats against the armored frame of the robotic suit, "I know it's fire power is limited and Robotnik has more robots than I can hope to smash; but if I use hit and run tactics, all my training and skills I can keep them on me while you get Brianna out...."

His gaze goes to the floor, his floppy ears sagging a bit. "I'm not very smart, Princess, I can't even really read. I just was taught how to use weapons and this implant in my spine lets me link to machines and vehicles with the "Neural Animus Link System". What Brianna can do building this thing and her other gadgets amazes me, and how smart you are, your brilliant tactical thinking, stuff I wasn't taught or ever put much stock into because those in charge of me didn't see the point in teaching me how to be anything but another weapon you can give orders too."

"This..." Axel pats the machine again; "This is the best way I can do my part, by being a weapon and letting them focus on me while you be cunning and smart... and rescue Brianna without endangering her." He grabs the connector to the mech itself and plugs it into the device riding the upper half of his back and neck. He flinches a little from the connection and touches a panel in the open cockpit, which lights up with a flashing screen. START UP, Y/N?

"You're the boss Princess, whatever you want to do I'll do it; I just feel this is the best way I can help." 

Considering his words, Sally sighed and placed a thumb and index finger to her jaw in ponder. "Hmm.. There is a way we can use your weapon to our advantage, especially by means of surprise." She rested her palm and stared up at the machine. "First we need to find out where they're keeping her. Perhaps we can interrogate a few guards, see if they can spill the beans. Though it's possible they won't know anything..." she glanced down for a moment and shut her eyes before snapping them open with a confident grin. "Aha! Brianna mentioned the suit she fiddled with still has a computer network from Robotropolis. I may be able to hack into it with Nicole and find out where she is being held through there. Maybe there is other info I can find, but first priority is our friend."

Breathing in calmly, she exhaled before continuing. "Provided we find her that way, the next step is sneak in there, break her out(hopefully without a fuss), and make our escape. You will be on standby with your mech at the ready for the getaway or in case the alarms are triggered. I and a volunteer will break her out and flee while you distract the enemy and hold them off. Hopefully it won't come to Plan B but we won't know until we get there."

Listening to the Princess's words; the hybrid nodded his head, his floppy dog-ears briefly perking to show his state of approval at her plan. "That's a sound plan; alright then we just need some volunteers to help you break in while I keep security busy."

As if the Almighty was listening the door to the workshop opened. "Heeeeeeeello? Um nice, hyper Lynx lady? I'm returning that wrench you let me borrow to fix my hut's sink-oh!" Stopping in his tracks was a red, shelled armadillo, with a black under-body, yellow-beige muzzle, belly and arms. "Hi there Princess Sally, and um, ah-." Mighty took on a sheepish look as he realized he didn't know the name of the Mobian sized human-dog looking fellow, standing by the Princess and the impressive robot-thing. "I don't think we've met-."

"Axel, and looks like we have a volunteer." Muses the hybrid as he cocked his head towards the Princess. "He's the super strength guy right? Could come in handy."

Confused, Mighty scratches the top of his head. "Volunteer, volunteer for what? Um not that I mind helping out but I'd like to know what I'm getting into if it's all the same to you folks."

A huge gust of wind blew past the place, pushing a huge pile of leaves and twigs across the doorway. And in just a few seconds it all stopped and next to Mighty appeared Sonic still hopping up on his toes.  "Yeah, volunteer!  Volunteer for what? Count me in!  Is it to spank some ol' bot-butt.  I'm ready.  Things have been boring here.  Let's get moving!"  He didn't know what was going on but he had to be part of it.  "Let's go, let's go, let's go!!  Hey, why all the long faces?  The horse face fashion going around now?"

"Hello, Mighty, it's good to see you-" the Princess was cut off by the familiar burst of wind and hyper energy of Sonic the Hedgehog. "Sonic! Calm down a minute would you? This is a very serious matter," she scolded before sighing and giving him a smile. "We could definitely use your help though. Mighty, yours too."

The Armadillo held up an arm to keep the sudden gust of wind off of his face as the blue-blur appeared but a smile crept up on his face. "You sure there's isn't bloodhound ancestry in your family Sonic? Leave it to you to sniff out a mission to kick bot-butt and then BAM! You're right there, ready and, barely waiting."

"The mission's a rescue mission, two of Robotnik's hired thugs kidnapped Brianna during a salvage run. You two help the Princess sneak in, rescue her and fight off any internal security in your way; I cause a ruckus with this," Axel pats the mecha's frame. "To keep the majority of the security forces outside on me so they'll think I'm the main vanguard."

Instantly Mighty's jovial expression from before fades and his feature turn serious. "So the lynx girl got nabbed? Alright I'm in." His eyes go over the kneeling robotic exo-frame. "Does that thing even work?"

"It's had a few dry runs but those were admittedly to test systems, but we don't have a choice." The hybrid nonchalantly commented as he touches switch on the inner panel of the open cockpit hatch. "Engaging Neural Animus Link System." Three seconds after he flicked the twitch he felt a surge up his spine from the connector jack linking him to the frame; Axel arched his back and neck letting out a sharp cry as his brain was flooded with sensation and data from the machine. As a child he had a unique and highly illegal neural-nanomachine implant placed in his body so he could operate certain types of machinery without needing to read and study complex manuals. Axel being the sort who wanted to prove his worth if just so he'd be fed and kept alive had the surgery three times of his own volition. The Neural Animus System basically created pseudo brain lobes that could absorb mechanical and digital data; thus allowing the user to process it and utilize a machine or interface like it was an extension of their own body.

The downside was if the system was badly attuned or you tried to process too much data without a limiter you could fry your brain; assuming the surgery's high failure rate didn't paralyze or kill you.

Blood leaked from Axel's nose as he leaned forward; he barely acknowledge the other three in the room even as the Armadillo rushed to his side.

"Whoa, whoa, who?! H-hey man you okay?"

"I-I'm fine!" Axel manages holding up a hand briefly to keep them all from stopping him. He felt the data lessening as he managed to 'tank it' all. He wipes the blood away from his leaking nostril, softly panting a little. "Just this machine's a beast, and Bri's never let me do a full linkage before so this was new..." With determined eyes he leans back into the small seat and reaches to grasp the control sticks and with a push of the button the mech's chest cavity seals up entirely. It's green-optics light up, gazing a green glow along the samurai-like warrior helmet-face Brianna had designed for it. Then with hydraulic limbs 'whirring' to life, the mecha slowly stands up, standing the full fifteen feet of its height, almost going through the ceiling of the workshop.

Axel's voice comes out through a loudspeaker in its head. "All systems seem to be green; I'm ready to move out when you are Princess." 

"Mondo tin-can dude!  Like it's almost better than scrap-brain!  I think it needs more blue to be honest-"  All the tech-talk started to bore the hedgehog as he just wanted to look at the knew toy, wondering if it could move fast with all that metal.  That was until Axel had an aneurysm right in front him.  "Yikes!  That's what this smart bot does to you?"  He helped Mighty lift him but he could tell the armadillo was taking most of the weight.

"Serious things aside Sal.  You're going to let him take this brain-scrambler-dohicky-thingy into a fight?  What if his brains goes to goop?  I don;t think Antoine would want to pick up that mess..."

Pressing a palm to her chin in thought, Sally nodded her agreement. "I hadn't thought of that, Sonic," she replied, then staring up at the robot. "It may be unwise to just throw him out there without testing this system first. We don't know if it'll cause any damage to your body, Axel. Or your mind."

Sighing, the Princess leaned back against a lab-counter of Brianna's. "With Mighty and Sonic helping with the mission, we might not need to risk it."

The chest panels of the mech open up revealing Axel who looks down at the three since the machine now stood up above them all. "Not like I use my braincells for much anyway; plus we're wasting time at this point. Brianna's been in their clutches for hours and it'll be a few more just to get into position. I want to rescue her, and soon." 

Mighty found himself rather, disturbed by how nonchalant the hybrid seemed with his own health and safety like it was okay to burn himself out rescuing Brianna. "So do we man, but they have a point." Mighty gestured to Sonic and Sally as he said this; his own expression carrying the same concern. "You looked like you were in pain and blood from the nose is never good when it comes to stuff linked to your brain. We might even not need this... contraption. No offense to the designer, and builder, not to mention she may not like you turning your brain to jelly just to save her." Added the Armadillo politely.

Axel purses his lips, obviously torn on the matter; he looks to Sally. "Your call Princess, if you want I'll follow on foot, but me causing a ruckus with this could draw a lot of security from the prison, and if we end up in a fire fight it could be handy. Still you're the boss, your call." Gripping the control sticks, Axel lowers the machine back onto its knees, awaiting Sally's final verdict before fully shutting down; or the go to seal Barbatos up and grab what few weapons Brianna managed to build for it before her capture.

"We'll hit fast and punch faster!  Ain't none of them going to see us coming, be the fleet foot or flying can."  Sonic brushed his nose with his thumb and winked at them all.  "I mean, if your brain can handle it, lock and load, but if'll pop that mind of yours would be better thinking with Sal's.  And I'll keep them bots a busslin', give them the slip, then save our damsel in distress.  All in a hedgehog minute."

Nodding to Sonic and Mighty, Princess Sally brought her gace up to Axel. "We aren't going to risk your health then. Rescuing one comrade while harming or potentially losing another is pointless. Stealth, careful planning and perfect execution are what we need for this mission. Mighty and Sonic will form the 'disctraction team'. Axel, you and I make the stealth team. I think Brianna will be happy to see your face when we bust in there."

"...Alright Princess, you're the boss." Just like that, Axel shuts down the Exo-Frame, putting the mech into the 'sleep' position it was before and shut everything down. Lastly he unhooks the link-jack from the device on his back. He twitched a little from the disconnection; his nerves getting used to not being linked to the Exo-Frame. Climbing down he stands between the three full Mobians wiping the remaining blood from his nostril off his arm. "I'll get my gear and some warmer clothes and we can depart as soon as everyone's ready...let's go save Brianna."

"Awesome plan, Sal.  We'll hit them so hard and so fast Robotnik won't even be able to blink or wink."  Sonic did a quick flip in the air and a thumbs up.  "Maybe later Axel, you can link to the food processor and make an uber chili-dog.  Meet you guys at the rendezvous point.  Juice and jam!!!"  And he was gone, the wind trying it's hardest to keep up with him.

"What rendezvous point-" Sally tried but failed to call after Sonic, as if that ever worked to stop him before. As usual Sonic runs off without even going through the plan. "Mighty, you had better follow Sonic as best you can. Keep in touch with us using the comms. Axel, let's head out if you're able."

Sighing as Sonic took off; Mighty let out a low grumble as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "You got it Sally, I'll grab a radio so we can keep contact; frequency 9193." With that said the Armadillo gave a two-finger salute and dashed out of the lab after the speedy hedgehog. Knowing he couldn't hope to catch up with him; speed wise but with his tracking skills he'd find him and reach where ever Sonic would be waiting.

Once Mighty left, Axel walks over to his discarded shirt, pulling it back on while leaving the neural connection device on his back. "I just need to stop by my hut and grab my bag of gear, I can meet you at the entrance to Knothole. We can then head towards Robotropolis and sneak into the prison complex." As he tucked in his long-sleeved undershirt, he trembled a little. No from the cold and being shirtless for as long as he did; but from a sense of unease and worry. What if they took too long to get to Brianna and it was too late?

He then shook his head, forcing himself to push down such thoughts; now wasn't the time to doubt. He gave the Princess one last glance as he heads for the door.

It was mission time.   (I think this thread has served its purpose shall we move onto the rescue mission itself?)