Team Acorn Community Forums

Hey guys. So after awhile of the new RP, I started to wonder if the heavy restrictions on powers hurts the RP more than it helps it. I wanted to ask you guys what you think about lifting those restrictions and allowing powers back into the RP.

Of course the RP would stay the same, same lore, same war, etc but yeah. Perhaps limited powers like before would be fine? Idk, I think powers gives players more options in the stories, wheras without them people might be at a loss as to how to handle a situation. I'm still against powers in a SatAM setting but at the same time, it seems like powers would benefit the RP more than do harm. Let me know your thoughts.

Well, we have to keep in mind the fact that if everyone gets powers then characters like Sonic becomes less special and unique. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind one bit allowing everyone to create characters with powers considering I would be one of them but I think the real question isn't should we allow powers back into the RP. I think the real question should be this: Would allowing powers back into the RP affect the RP forum negatively?  Will  this make characters like Sonic less special and if so then how? And how much will this change the setting of SatAM from original? 

Remember back in SatAM, none of the characters with exception of Sonic had powers. Because of this, they  would be at a disadvantage against Robotnik because they had to use their wits. They had no powers whatsoever. If they did then the battle would be even no doubt. Now if powers were allowed then it would make the war evenly matched but then the characters on Legion side will get powers too. Now I know not every character created here will get powers if  powers will be allowed but it seem like the one without it will be at a disadvantage, granted the characters with power won't go all ham on them because of the rper and the rules set but still.

That being said, I'm for allowing limited powers but it needs to be said that there need to be more rules on that if that the case. Let's say each rper can create two characters with powers but then in each mission here only one character that has powers may go on that mission while the other be characters with none. That way the characters like Sonic can still feel special because they're only ones with the ability to be a game-changer of sorts.

Then again, to be honest, this idea just came out of the top of my head so I didn't think much about it. You could say I'm just coming up with a random idea and throwing it out there but I hope this helps others on thinking about this the topic of allowing powers once more.

I think MacMan explained it pretty well. I think the basis for powers should be limited to people say one char per faction with powers.

At the same time while the chance would make it more even we have to remember that The Legion have both people with powers as well as superior numbers and firepower as well as technological advantages. Maybe the Legion has devices, some sort of emitter kept on their persons which can negate all powers within range.

Yeah i think Mac said it well to. I'm all for limited powers so long as it keeps to limited powers. One of the reasons the older ver of the RP got so hectic i believe was due to powers being close to OP but within limits. Powers wise for me the only thing id have for my current characters would be fast healing for Ashley since Sophia normal for the most part. But if it was my slime girl then id have to find a good balance for her.

I think that you need to think about is the type of powers and apply restrictions based on that. Simply having the power doesn't mean anything it depends on how it is used. Think about Sonic in one aspect his power super high speed. uses on the ground only, he cannot swim, he isn't the hardest hitter, isn't smartest guy etc. In retrospect think about Shadow... has chaos powers but they are limited without an emerald which is a rare item to just have any way. so  his pros and cons of them. Chaos spear ranged single lined area good for spacing. he is just as fast as sonic due to his ultimate body same restrictions hits hard good defense, chaos control/chaos snap if you will lets him teleport short distances unless he has a chaos emerald. Also depends on vision without said emerald, Chaos Control/Time slow or time stop, only with an emerald not spam-able possibly can't affect the target more than once per a set amount of time. Still can fight a swat bot on his own but doesn't mean it isn't a struggle it is a work out for him. think about something that helps both of them in the air is the ring that allows them to spin in the air or aka homing attacks. that is their aerial capabilities but shadow has his hover shoes which have been shown to allow him to flight albeit nothing near as fast as Tails or Rouge but it gives him an edge. realistically you see powers can have an over bearing presence HOWEVER!
It is how you water down the powers the limitations put on the characters themselves so you need to think about it and judge how people can do things. Teleportation is a good power but think about the chaos snap as I mentioned vision only and anyone having a chaos emerald is in danger to the robotnik army/Dark Legion as if they are knockedo ut they are now gonna be stripped of the emerald which is bad. now mechanical devices of course have their own issues bunny rabbot can completely have a malfunction when using something related to her legs. It is about how you nerf them down i can send you many things that show how I nerf powers that should be overbearing and impossible and make them beatable. Example here would be the power of nothingness literally the power of manipulating the entire concept/element of nothingness or the void. 

phasing: can make himself phase through attacks like physical attacks seems strong right? only can be used once every 10 seconds think about 10 seconds in a fight literally after 2 posts he would be able to do this mind you I consider combat posts similar to pathfinder rules where each turn is 6 seconds. a lot can happen in a 10 second time span.

Removing injuries by making it as if that wound hadn't happened aka Void revert: as it is stated literally makes it as if he hadn't sustained the hit. how do you nerf it? simple make it cost a lot of energy  depending on energy source of course and make it jet lag. Make it so not only does it have a down time they still sustain the pain and wear that the wound would have left behind a broken arm won't be broken anymore however  it is less effective because it feels like it has been. you don't wanna use it because of the pain to the nervous system its a drawback and can't be used as often standard time being every 24 second sometimes 15 seconds still a harsh downtime.  

yea this is the SatAM universe but powers if you think about it manifest in different ways and have different draw backs not everything has to be a beam something can be like Dark Chi where it increases their physical powers and drain them afterwards or can be something utility based like a shield every now and again it is all how you perceive it. if you are worried it will make things too easy for missions then think of it this way you just make the swat bots even tougher, make it so that unless you have a pure power source like an emerald or the once a day ring it will have some major down times. just some food for thought regarding powers because I have seen many places and rps trying to say powers should be super restrictive then to be honest you have to restrict sonic too, Tails shouldn't be able to fly indefinitely it is something that kills the characters in their base. if you are gonna have powers literally the character has to be based on those powers similarly to sonic or just have enhanced conditioning and very off brand abilities. Because Chaos Spear is cool it is good but you don't have full control over it, it is an explosion so friendly fire is a thing chaos snap is limited to vision and knowledge and you don't know what is gonna happen around the corner being in a bad spot is a thing and you can only take yourself not someone else so you can't save someone either. now if you want me to put something with an example for something that isn't of SatAM but a universe I have created based on the comics and games knowledge and while powers and such are there doesn't mean limitations aren't there. I do have an RTF file with my character Angelus and i can show you how you water down powers correctly.