Team Acorn Community Forums
Blazeymix

Far Cry 4: A Disappointment

Rather than give a structured review I'm just going to give a more conversation-like review with it.

First of all, I was hyped. Far Cry 3 was amazing and fun, I LOVED the animals and gameplay, it was epic. Great story too.

So to me Far Cry 4 was a big deal, I expected an amazing sequel that took the best of FC3 and made it even more groundbreaking.

Instead, it was Far Cry 3: Different location $60 DLC

Yeah... that should explain it. The game is an exact replica of Far Cry 3. No innovation was put into this game. Nothing new but a little chopper really. And Elephants. Woo. You see why I hate the game? Yeah it's still fun, it IS Far Cry 3 basically. But after about half way I lost all interest because there's nothing new, it's the same... GAME. Same thing. Ending sucked too. Stupid story. Stupid bad guy. Why is it always one guy?

So yeah, I didn't want to make a long review on this one, just wanted to say my thoughts on FC4. Co-op is pretty cool though but the only thing fun to do is the Outposts together, even then, your partner only makes things harder when they get caught and kill the stealth bonus. So yeah, the game was a big boring disappointment because it's the same game but in a new area. I was expecting something big, something amazing, a SEQUEL to Far Cry 3, but it was only a step to the side. The same step but a new set of stairs.

That being said, I'd recommend this game if it were at least half off. $60 is way overpriced. I was dragging my feet after while, forcing myself to beat it because I was so bored. And no more sharks? I LOVED sharks, they were terrifying. I wanted bigger game, big big fish. v.v Maybe even a new hunting system that gave purpose to hunting the same 15 animals over and over. Nope, you use their skin to craft crap and once you do, they become worthless. Nice Ubisoft. :/

Rather than give a structured review I'm just going to give a more conversation-like review with it.

First of all, I was hyped. Far Cry 3 was amazing and fun, I LOVED the animals and gameplay, it was epic. Great story too.

So to me Far Cry 4 was a big deal, I expected an amazing sequel that took the best of FC3 and made it even more groundbreaking.

Instead, it was Far Cry 3: Different location $60 DLC

Yeah... that should explain it. The game is an exact replica of Far Cry 3. No innovation was put into this game. Nothing new but a little chopper really. And Elephants. Woo. You see why I hate the game? Yeah it's still fun, it IS Far Cry 3 basically. But after about half way I lost all interest because there's nothing new, it's the same... GAME. Same thing. Ending sucked too. Stupid story. Stupid bad guy. Why is it always one guy?

So yeah, I didn't want to make a long review on this one, just wanted to say my thoughts on FC4. Co-op is pretty cool though but the only thing fun to do is the Outposts together, even then, your partner only makes things harder when they get caught and kill the stealth bonus. So yeah, the game was a big boring disappointment because it's the same game but in a new area. I was expecting something big, something amazing, a SEQUEL to Far Cry 3, but it was only a step to the side. The same step but a new set of stairs.

That being said, I'd recommend this game if it were at least half off. $60 is way overpriced. I was dragging my feet after while, forcing myself to beat it because I was so bored. And no more sharks? I LOVED sharks, they were terrifying. I wanted bigger game, big big fish. v.v Maybe even a new hunting system that gave purpose to hunting the same 15 animals over and over. Nope, you use their skin to craft crap and once you do, they become worthless. Nice Ubisoft. :/

I have to say I agree with this on all levels. I loved FC3 and was hyped for FC4, especially the co-op mode. However minus the little things you already mention the game just... does not have the same appeal to make me jump for it like FC3 did.

As your co-op partner several times Sal, we both know how too easy it is for the fun of working with a friend to go a little downhill when you're trying to be stealthy and "aw crap one of us got caught", and all hell breaks loose. >_< Especially if it's on your own head and I hated it when I was the one who fumbled, and we both are rather perfectionist when it comes to getting those FC stealth bonuses. To be frank I think they should have made tweaks to the co-op so that if one of you is caught it only aggros the enemy on that particular player maybe allowing the other player to continue stealth support or completing a task without the stealth bonus ruin.

I also have to say the story just... great premise, but just, I didn't like even my allies! I understand the whole 'duality of human nature' thing but when you're locked out of options to crave your own path in the story telling with such unappealing protagonists it's... just awful.

I may never finish this game due to the fact somehow my data got erased (which bugs me considering I had backed it up after getting a new hard drive), and like you I don't feel very compelled to play it, and I don't like feeling forced.

That said FC4 isn't a bad game it's just not what the next Far Cry should be, a near clone of it's predecessor. They should have spent more time on it, and honestly kept it strictly for next-generation gaming consoles/PC rigs (well now the current gen systems). Probably one reason for its limitations is still using the sandbox limitations of the PS3/Xbox 360. Maybe with companies dropping last gen cross release games and starting to focus solely on current-gen the next Far Cry will be a step up... if Ubisoft doesn't get lazy again.

Out of a ten I give it a 6 Nothing broken gameplay wise just not inspiring.